SAFE (Student Advising for Freshman Excellence) is a peer mentoring program designed to help students successfully transition from high school to college. SAFE minimizes academic, social, and economic challenges by providing information about UNC Charlotte support services to facilitate a smooth transition for students.
SAFE combines academic support with personal development programming to encourage your academic achievement, positive self-concept and increased personal growth. Participation in SAFE helps students achieve not only the UNC Charlotte degree of choice but also a degree of excellence in your future.
First year students are matched up with upper class students called SAFE Counselors within their specific major or college. SAFE Counselors are:
- Students with GPAs of 2.5 and higher.
- Students trained in the areas of: mentoring, group dynamics, ethics, conflict resolution, and team building. SAFE Counselors also attend on going group training sessions which are mandatory throughout the academic year.
- Students who are successfully involved in all aspects of the university
- SAFE Counselors provide ongoing support for students dealing with academic, personal, and social issues.
- Our program has a strong, lasting partnership with the Office of Multicultural Academic Services who provide personal tutoring services that are free of charge for all program participants.
- Our program provides monthly study hall programming sessions for those who work best in group settings.
- Our program offers tutorial assistance from paid tutors and SAFE Counselors at no charge to program participants.
Social adjustment to college is a major factor in the overall success of every college student. SAFE provides ongoing programs to help students connect with each other in various social settings.
- SAFE Socials (Monthly)
- Youth Outreach (on a volunteer basis)
- Community Service Projects (bimonthly, on a volunteer basis)
- Personalized Group Events (weekly)
- Multicultural Events
- SAFE VOYAGE
- SAFE RE-VOYAGE
- SAFE PASSAGE